Tuesday 17 April 2012

"Stunned at Home, Arsenal and Me!"

Hello guys its @MattCar85 here and this will be my first blog for GFS, so sit back and enjoy..
As I sat back in my chair with a beer in one hand ready to watch Arsenal v Wigan I thought to myself that this would be an routine 2-0 with Arsenal running the show as we have so many times at The Emirates this season. So how to my surprise, 10 minutes later can we be 2-0 down with Mikel Arteta on the sidelines receiving treatment for what looked to be a bad injury?
Stunned" is the only word I can use to actually describe it, but at least there was another 80 minutes to go and with Manchester City the only team in the league with a better home record than Arsenal, I was confident we could get back in the game and maybe even win.
What came after was one of the poorest displays of football I have seen at The Emirates this season, and I hope in this piece I can shed some light on why.
Firstly we'll start off with Santos, A player who i was so excited about when he first joined as it seemed we'd signed some Roberto Carlos type full back who had the ability to add a new dimension to our play. What we actually have bought is a winger who at times is outpaced by most and whose tackling leaves a lot to be desired.
I honestly feel this is one of the area's we will strengthen in the summer cause with Gibbs as great as he is somehow always injured, Santos does not have it in his locker to make this spot his own.
Although it may seem unfair to you I have singled Santos out, last night was very rare in which many top class performers just didn't step up. Sagna was out of sorts as was Vermaelen. Theo Walcott at times didn't have his usual spark and with Arteta injured this all played a big part in our downfall.
Many singled out Aaron Ramsey as the perpetrator for last nights result but for some reason he always seems to be the one the hatred is aimed at. I logged on to my twitter to sit there and witness some of the vilest comments you'd ever wish to read, some even involving death threats. All this from our own fans and I'm not going to lie some of our supporters actually disgust me.
The only player who was exempt from these twitter ramblings was Tomas Rosicky.
So on the back of that performance and with one eye on Saturday what can we do to get back on track? The answer is hope Barcelona and Cesc do us a massive favour and run Chelsea ragged on Wednesday night. In my opinion a draw between Barca v Chelsea is a win, win result as Chelsea will look to the away leg of the tie and will be more focused on them as they are Arsenal.
In my 25 years of supporting Arsenal this in recent memory has been one of the hardest seasons I've had to endure as a fan. Possible anti Wenger protests and of course that 8-2 humbling at Old Trafford, but look where we are now 3rd spot in the league, 5 points ahead of the scum up the road in there best season!
Time has come for us to reunite again and not slag off the players or manager but support them and make our voices heard. Thank you so much for reading and I'll catch up with you again after Chelsea at home.
@MattCarr85

No comments:

Post a Comment